Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Dont Open Till Christmas (1984)





How good can a movie be when it forgets the apostrophe in the title card? The answer? Not very. Don't Open Till Christmas isn't exactly a bad movie, but it's certainly not a good movie. It's just there.

It's nearing Christmas and a lunatic is killing everyone in a Santa suit! Okay, I'll give you that there's going to be people who have to wear Santa suits for jobs and what not, but here's a simple way to not get killed: stop wearing it after your job is done, and don't walk down a dark alley while wearing one. Apparently no one in this movie is smart enough to realize this so you're treated to many badly dressed Santas being butchered over and over again.

Like this poor bastard


Have no fear there's a crack team of detectives from Scotland Yard on the case... and by crack team I mean they seem to kind of just be there in the background and instead the movie decides to focus on two people. Kate, her dad was the second person killed by the Santa Clause Killer and... Sherry? Cheryl? I didn't catch her name and in the credits I believe she's only credited as Experience Girl. She's a stripper* who is kidnapped by the Santa Clause Killer.

*I say stripper because I have no idea what to call her job. She sits behind glass and men pay to see her do things like get naked. I'm not really sure what that's called... but I doubt there's a job fair for that sort of thing

Neither of their stories are very compelling and are actually kind of jumbled and boring. I found Kate kind of annoying and her part seemed kind of forced and the story seemed to focus a lot on her boyfriend for no real apparent reason. While Experience Girl's part just seemed rather unneeded, it didn't really add anything to the movie. And when the detectives showed up in the movie they felt like they were just kind of there. They had a fairly big part in the movie, but most of it just felt kind of like filler.

There's nothing really wrong with this movie other than it's just kind of there. It's forgettable. I had no interest in it, and at the end of the day I don't have a lot of say about it because it was just kind of "meh".

Don't Open Till Christmas probably isn't worth your time. I went into it hoping for some kind of cheesy Christmas themed slasher that would fall into that "so bad it's good category" and would be a fun/funny movie to watch at Christmas time. Instead I got a really boring movie with a really average/boring plot. While I think that it could have been a decent slasher movie, in the end it falls flat and instead you get something that feels like it could have been better.

2 Birthday Fish out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment